Thursday, June 09, 2005

pen and paper

i don't know what it is about writing that engages me to pursue such endeavors if i have the right persuasion NOT inspiration. oh yeah, i used to think that one can only write when one is inspired but not anymore, when i held a writing job with the foremost authority in information technology publication. hehehe, i still sound very much like "their" marketing communications officer. i would have loved to stay in that company for decades to come had it not been...oh well, that's another time.

when i say persuastion, it means, i may or mayn't have the right [or write] mood as we speak but if it's deadline today then i must finish my writing today. when i started in that company, i was never taught how to pursue the topic when it was given to me. it was like, my editor didn't coach me how to begin writing. maybe thinking that since i had the gall to apply for the position, i hold it upon me to be able to scratch the paper with my pen WHENEVER.

true enough though, i was able to bleed my pen for all the subjects the IT community find interesting: from newly opened computer shops; to ad infinitum/ad nauseam fora, seminars and presentations; to government projects especially those spearheaded by DOST, National Computer Institute, DTI etc.

it was like, what am I doing in this industry that requires so much brain cells for computer geeks [only to find out that i will be troubleshooting internet connectivity in my next lifetime as TCCR for Convergys] when my baccalaureate is Public Health?

oh life, bwehehehehehe...

anyways, now writing for me involves the subject of the act and how early my deadline for such is. i just need those parameters and then i'm off to typing endlessly. playing cresecendoes upon stacattos of prosaic paintings. well. if i had to earn my salary of P9,000 at that time for typing those articles no end then i had to do it, inspired or not. well, what i learned to love about that job was the airconditioning in our previous building. my gosh, as in, i would arrive in the house after say, 3 hours and i would feel the contents of my backpack still cold.

a writing job is never easy, you even feel wasted after slaving hours on end finishing an article you don't have your soul on. i was always feeling sore and wishing how i wish i could write someday for a publication i love and topics i love as well.

thus, when the lifestyle insert for enterprise came out i was more than willing to volunteer my efforts in reviewing restaurants etc. but i set my eyes on eventually getting into a fashion or lifestyle magazine where i really would want to make a mark. i was thinking, how lovely, to laze time off in cozy Greenbelt and just breezily park my pen when my piece on a new store selling clothes is done sipping Moccachino with my wi-fied ThinkPad eating my sentences.

i know it's odd but i liken this being-paid-to-write persona to that of a prostitute. i mean, i haven't actually done the thing [i hope, but how, when you have love packs as thick as 4 inches and weigh 220 pounds?] but i guess, they would have loved to have sex and be paid for a good one, but at least with someone not suffering from halitosis or body odor, right?

but life is hard, it is never easy most especially if we have bills to pay and lives, not only our own, to support.

all in all, writing is a gift. and just like singing, we should share it. if we are best in doing something then we must let others benefit from it. i know i write good creative magnum opus-es and just letting others partake my writings is enough.

so if you guys, would want to learn a thing or two [yeah, i know only two pointers for good writing, ahehehehehe] about writing, just drop me a line or two.

No comments: