Sunday, June 12, 2005

certified FULL HOUSE fanatic

alright, i will not try to be defensive about it, but YES, i am a Full House addict. certified.

i am sooooo much into this tv series that i don't know how to go about this blog for it. i was thinking that it might be better to just have a rundown of the things i sooooo love about the show, or then again, maybe go about the quotes i remember and then discuss them one by one, but then again, i couldn't resist poring over and over the sites of the show's headliners.

huwaaaaaaaa, i can't make up my mind.

i am sooooo definitely taken by the show's story that i am now bothered in my resting hours. i can't think of anything else lately. and who would ever think, among people in my workplace, that i am one of the many who are AFFECTED by these **mundane concerns?

i definitely am, not known to many i guess is the fact that i happen to be a couch potato who wants lazy afternoons and hours on hours on end of endless boob tube fare. i definitely am.

of mara clara and marimar

i remember watching annaliza when i was smaller, then the first few years of mara clara. until i discovered that the show did nothing but appeal to the tear glands of its viewers by subjecting its viewers to episodes of heavy emotions and crying. how could you ever imagine a story wherein characters are ending up always in hospital beds or accidents or kidnappings WHENEVER they are on the brink of solving their plot dilemma once and for all?

either Susan Africa, clara's biological mom, would end up crazed again or Beverly Vergel, mara's mother, would have an amnesia when she discovered an information so vital to her 'true' daughter's identity. gosh, it was my soooo pathetic summer, spending afternoons in my front of our tv set just trying to root for Judy Ann Santos to come to her senses and fight for her right as "nag-iisang heredera ng mga del valle." [the heiress to the del valle fortune]

incredulous me!

before Marimar became the toast of telenovelas, there was Valeria Montoya of La Traidora, the heiress of the Tricom empire. my mom was in Cebu then for her annual trip when my dad and i decided to spend the 6:30 evenings watching the rise and fall and rising again of this red headed senora slugging it out with her equally tempestuous cousin, Dayana, for the control of the family riches.

haaaaaaay, little did i know that when mother came back and WE introduced her to the Montoya clan, she would end up romancing, MORE THAN my dad’s and my curiosity and dedication in watching, the telenovelas for years to come. my mom was so habitually concerned about these characters that whenever she phoned us brothers home when they were in laguna, she would say it this way:

"O anak, napakain nyo na ba ang mga hayop?..." [sons, have you fed our dogs and cats?]

"opo" [yes mother]

"O wag nyong kalimutan isulat ang GoBingo at yung La Traidora..." [o, don’t forget my GoBingo combinations and La Traidora] [then she will guffaw]

now can you imagine that? a parent calling from the province and checking on her unicos hijos, BUT reminding first about the pets, if they have eaten, and then her tv fare. but not, "o mga anak, kumain na ba kayo?" [sons have you eaten?]

imagine that!


plot critique

i think this growing habit to watch lots of shows has provided me and kuya [elder brother] with insights on what a good show is like. we used to grow with daddy commenting every time he would hear about the titles of betamax tapes we're going to be renting, "ano mapapala nyo dyan. paulit-ulit lang ang kwento nyan?" [why waste your money on that. its plot is threadbare anyway?]

and we would resent that, ALWAYS.
not knowing that it presents so much wisdom. looking back, i now know that daddy couldn't have said it any better.

plots nowadays are so copied, so trite, so banal.

we need new writers. and quick.

that is the reason why channel 2 is getting the rear end of its karma. they have perfected scheming plots for the teevee that now they have grown too big in their thrones, they couldn't budge a bit to assess weaknesses and improve on it.

they need to realize that viewers are sooooo discriminating nowadays due to rampant exposure to all sorts of media. ALL forms.

they can never underestimate the importance of a really GOOD story. ramping up with glitzy stars, visually stunning effects and vaunted production design doesn’t a good story make. if the story itself SUCKS, people would know.

with Darna and Encantadia doing good share of commercial loads and high ratings, it is time abs-cbn come to its senses and improve lots. they used to be the trailblazers but now has become mere copycats of other station's hits or just mere blender of rehash items of their previous glories. pathetic.

and i now go full circle,

i will now be describing what my title is all about, hehehehe, let's toast about Full House.

i don't know if doing marathon screening has helped immensely, for we watched the show almost non-stop for 16 hours. but, the story was sooooo addictive. we would always tell ourselves, okay one more vcd. but at the end of the playback, we would again insert the next copy and watch once more.

and gladly we would. hehehehehe.

the story is refreshing and the main charactes have given it so much texture and variety that it was as interesting as it was romantic to watch. for me, it was real life. period.

it never attempted to play too coy about the possible romance between Young Jae and Juen Ha [ i hope i got that right, it's justin and jessie here in RP]. actress Song Hye Kyo and pop singer Rain in real life.

[[digression: i even soaked my self surfing their sites. regardless if i don't know korean. i went on and did research... fanatic, right?]]

and Song's friendship with Min-Hyuk [Kim Sung Soo] was true to form as well. she never assured and she even confessed that she should have told him not to wait since it is really hard to wait with no assurance that the other person will be there at the end. [i feel I will make this a blog topic as well in the future, “waiting for nothing”]


insightful

the show has lots of insights. of course, never original for no thoughts is original anymore nowadays. but it was presented with earnestness and never came on too strong nor preachy.

or maybe, i am just too engrossed with it nowadays that flaws are still out of sight.

i know that i will still be mushy if i go on right now, extolling FH's virtues to the highest high. just my way, i guess of applauding them for a job well done would be me writing about this for days to come. i have thought of putting some of the show's quotes that struck me as titles of my blogs. what those lines did to me was to look back on my personal experiences and ponder on them.

and i guess, just by FH doing that, it has really endeared itself to me. as opposed to the numerous chinovelas i appreciated, the main thing is that the others never related to me too well. i sure felt sad on the character's plight but unlike FH, it never made me look inside myself and see, once again, what i have been trying to search for in my existence.

it has been such a long time that i was able to retreat upon myself and reflect on things that mattered. i have gone through failed relationships coupla times before and i think that has prevented me from trusting way too much these years.

i can understand perfectly well Young Jae when he admitted that the reason why he doesn't call home is that he never was used to the idea of a person waiting for him. my take on that is, he was never initiated to that reality, that is why he was never giving it importance.

and i felt that way.

when i was so misunderstood by my 2 closest friends for being insensitive, and i think, was their reason for walking out on me. they failed to realize that at that time, i may have looked soooo mature in person, but i was still in the process of finding things about myself. i guess, my wrong was, i made it appear that i know and understand things far beyond our chronological age's comprehension. maybe that was it.

but i was also trying to see things through in life. finding my real me. finding answers to my insurmountable questions. maybe just because i could figure out things for them, i knew and figured out things all by my lonesome me. but no.

and watching FH has gotten me back to that situation. when i was still trying to make sense out of everything. there were things that i did which i wasn't too well aware of. i wasn't aware that in so doing, i was hurting other people. i was neglecting a lot of people close to me. i failed to realize that there was more to saying "i love you" to people we hold dear. there is more to touching them, embracing them, treating them out, writing them love letters. i failed in a lot of areas which proved so consequential to me.

and watching FH, sadly brought tears to my eyes. that failure to appreciate people while they're still next to us. failure to admit that we are weak, so weak, but we try very hard to be strong just for that person. that yes, it would have been very different had we admitted to that person that, "i don't know. i won't be strong for you."

maybe because i didn't want to hear: "you failed me," in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.