Thursday, June 09, 2005

mah name means

I was searching some things on the net, actually I was on Friendster that time, when I stumbled upon sites which give your name meanings. Of course, the knowledge sucker that I am, I went on and typed furiously just to quench my desire to find out what mah name means.

Here’s one:

Although the name Giovanni creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the lungs, heart, bronchial area, and tension or accidents to the head.

As Giovanni you have a great love of nature and the out-of-doors, and could have a desire to be in an occupation which takes you outdoors and involves you with the products of the earth. All the finer things of life and beauties of nature are an inspiration to you and you are attracted to the mysteries of nature. Difficulty in expression results in your being too positive, blunt, and candid in speech. Although you are easily offended by others, you do not show it. You crave affection and understanding, but rarely find it as others do not understand you and accuse you of being cool and aloof.

Another one:

Johannes - God is gracious

My Chinese name:

Bei Gao Fu – tall, lofty, calming, comforting something


Analysis:

Come to think of it. I do believe that names are really worth thinking of when we are about to christen somebody with such appellation. I was informed before that mothers should be the ones thinking of their child’s name since they reared that person for nine months. It’s like they are supposed to ask and listen to the child in their womb for what name they want. Naming names is tempting fate, as Jessica Zafra would insist, since for example you named the child Aphrodite and she turned ugly later on, then she will always be the butt of jokes right?

For me, I think I read this as well somewhere, when you put a name on someone, you are casting your power over that person. For in previous millennia, it is better that you remain unknown for you are beholden if you are named. I think in Latin that is nomen est omen, the name is the sign.

When I was in kindergarten, I used to hate my name for I almost always misspelled it to something else. I find it too long, with a letter doubled and is so uncommon I can’t seem to find somebody else in the classroom bearing something similar to my name. Somebody even spelled it out as: Diyobanee. Mah gosh!!!

As it turned out, many known and powerful men in history was borne of the same name. The late pope was Giovanni Paulo in Italian. There is Giovanni Battista, Giovanni Bellini [painter], Giovanni Boccaccio [of Decameron], et al.

Although mostly Italian, they were very much pronounced mostly in Renaissance and I think, or at least would love to think, that I am very much a Renaissance man myself. I love to dip all 10 fingers that I have into so many things. I like to try things for trying’s sake alone. Although in discourses, I would appeal that I am trying them for knowledge [or research, duh?] aspirations. Hahahaha!

I think mah name really defined myself. Now, I am very much proud to display my name since I feel that a lot of people recognize it not just for its spelling but much more so since they highly identify my personality with that word.

No comments: